Sunday 9 August 2015

6 months in!

Today I am exactly 6 months post-op. To mark the milestone I have just been to my first group yoga class and am sitting down to write this blog post! Good positive ways to mark the occasion. Things have continued to progress steadily over the last month or so and I am now sitting for up to 30 mins at a time, a couple of times a day. I have been able to sit and work for the first time as well as eat a meal out and enjoy a normal paced pint on a bar stool! 

All in all pretty positive it seems, but I would be lying I if I did not admit to it being quite a frustrating period at times. The closer you get to 'normality' the more you want it. You also become more aware that if it does not transpire just how disappointed you would be. Although things are starting to feel more normal there is likely still quite a long way to go, and clearly no guarantees. Those moments you have where you can almost feel things becoming normal are amazing though! I am just trying to hold that thought (well, enjoy it for a second) and then just keep going quietly, letting time continue to pass and not letting my thoughts run away with me. 


The yoga class seemed to go well, but I guess I will know more tomorrow! I had previously had 4 one-to-one class with the teacher so I was pretty confident it would be ok. She is very aware of things I can and cannot do just yet, and kindly did a class where there were no seated asanas. I really think the walking, stretching, yoga and swimming have helped these last 3 months and I am really grateful I have been in a position to do them, as well as having the perseverance to keep going with them. The swimming and yoga I am pretty much addicted to and it certainly helps to keep your mood and perspective on the level as well as the obvious physical benefits it brings.

I am pretty exhausted though if I am honest. Approaching 4 months back at work, all stood up has taken its toll. Definitely glad I have done but it has not been easy. Thank goodness work have been good about me working from home - although I am now going into the office twice a week. If things continue to improve I feel I am close to a tipping point where things become less tiring. Once I can sit for 30 mins 4 times in a working day I think things will be far more manageable and I will be able to do full work days hopefully. At the moment I am doing about 5.5 to 6 hours a day, although this takes all day by the time you have had a breather or two. Any more is not sustainable when stood up!!

6 months feels like it has gone quickly and slowly in different ways. It certainly feels like a long time since being in Paris and lay on the sofa watching the Wire box set! We are even into a new football season now! On that note I intend to go and enjoy some sunshine before settling down to watch some of the football. Hopefully the next post will continue to report positive news - if that is the case, I have an apt title in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment