Saturday 13 February 2016

Kiss me where the sun don't shine...

This week has seen me hit the year mark since the operation! I cannot quite believe it and am not sure what to think really as I purposefully tried not to have too many expectations - it seemed pointless and a recipe for disappointment. Room 302 in Paris seems like an age ago now. Clearly though, I am happy with progress and glad that I made the decision to have the operation. I am also pretty pleased with how I have dealt with it all as it certainly is a lengthy recovery and life has been quite hectic in the meantime - life goes on though thank goodness, even if can test you at times. As I have said before, I have learnt a lot - not that I would necessarily have chosen to, but you have to play the cards in your hand!

There is still some progress to be made but hopefully I am on the right track. I am sitting for about 4 hours over a day now and hope that when the milder weather kicks in this will also help. I have begun driving the car short distances which has been good - the pure joy of being more independent and not reliant on lifts or lying in the back unable to see!! The lower back and abdominal tightness continues as a result of all the standing and probably a little bit of tension remaining when I do sit. I am continuing to persevere with sitting and exercise on the basis that this will reduce over time - and the benefits of exercise outweigh any short term discomfort. I am now doing a fairly advanced yoga class twice a week and swimming in between. Despite being pretty knackered from the last year I am in OK shape which is nice. I can't wait to be able to have a kick about with a football or go for a jog. If I get back on a bike at any point then that would be an added bonus!


In other news, my wife is pregnant so there will be a new little person about the place soon. This is slightly daunting but great to have something new and positive to focus on. It also means nobody asks me about my back anymore - bonus!! It does mean that life is likely to become more demanding though and I have had to start stepping up and doing more, which over the first 6 months or so was less possible. The lyric above is from one of my favourite songs and I hope that as we look ahead it applies to me!! It seems quite apt in every sense, and it is definitely about time.

7 comments:

  1. That's great that you're doing so well :)

    and congratulations on the pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James, how are you doing so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's the progress going? Still making strides?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, all good thanks - hence not seeing these blog comments! Sitting more slowly - up to 6 hours most workdays now - over the day. Driving more etc etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been great to read your blog. Very similar initial story to mine. I haven't decided on surgery yet but am no better after an injection, acupuncture and lots of chiropractic treatments in London. I'm an eye surgeon and coccydynia is affecting me at work. I've had it 2 years now, with an unlucky second injury to the area after the first year! We sit the whole time in the job, and have to sit especially still and relaxed while operating in delicate eyes, when all the weight goes on the coccyx as we use both feet to control pedals for our surgical equipment. At the time I'm only thinking about the patients, but afterwards I am in agony! Anyway, I digress - I get what you mean about balancing sitting and standing, as I stand on public transport nearly 4h every day (can only drive locally 10-15 minutes max), and I avoid sitting almost all the time when not at work. As a result I'm getting secondary pain: in lower back from standing; in elbows from resting on them when I do sit; in knees from kneeling. Seeing a spinal surgeon at my local hospital next week to talk about coccygectomy. On the one hand I think I wouldn't have your remarkable patience with the recovery process as I'm so impatient Now, but on the other, as you also said in another post, it's the only option left (that I'm interested in trying) and it's either that or continue like this. I guess I'm afraid of going through all the recovery and still finding I have this life of avoiding sitting and consequently getting exhausted from standing.
    So after all that rambling, here's my question: How are you doing now? I hope things are continuing to improve for you. I have found yoga and swimming helpful too in the last two years so I could really relate to your accounts of how they have helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this feedback it's really useful and nice to hear. I am sorry you have also been suffering with this horrible situation!

      I understand your reluctance for the operation, it is a big deal, but my sense was that if needs to happen it needs to happen. I was luck as I was considered a good candidate after the seated xray revealed the dislocation. If I were you I would go and have that done before making any decision. I was very reluctant for the op before seeing that but then it was the easiest decision I have ever made. I thought I was finished with the blog, but lots of people have asked how I am now, so I will update soon. But suffice to say things are pretty good. Not perfect (there is no avoiding a scar in a delicate place) but still pretty good.

      Best,

      James

      Delete