Wednesday 25 February 2015

Get up, Stand up!

Having an understanding and supportive employer has been really important to me in managing my coccyx pain so far. I have been open with them from the start and in return they have been as accommodating as possible. 

As mentioned previously, from early on I was conscious that it would it would be less than ideal to be signed off work with this pain. Despite having a sedentary job (not ideal for coccyx sufferers) I did not want to be lay at home getting stressed and depressed and unfit. I am not a fan of self pity, but this is not to make myself sound like some kind of hero! There have been times when I have struggled, but I knew that there are clear and obvious benefits to maintaining business as usual. The satisfaction of getting things done and the day to day interaction with colleagues has been important in that respect and it also takes the pressure off relationships at home and with family and close friends.

I am trying to continue my theme of working in song lyrics to my posts! 

This was made more possible by having an employer that was supportive and colleagues who I get on with. My employer took a number of practical steps that made it easier for me to continue working. Initially they provided me with an office chair that has the coccyx area cut out so that there was less pressure loaded when I sat (see picture below). This made a big difference - I still get pain into my surrounding tissues near to the sit bones but without this I would have exacerbated the problem and would not have been able to continue working.


A year or so later when it was clear that the coccyx pain was not going away, they also provided me with a standing desk. This has also been invaluable as changing position regularly seems to be a general rule to dealing with coccyx pain - especially if it means standing up! A number of my colleagues have been quite envious of it as standing up definitely energises you and quite literally provides you with a different perspective. We simply were not designed to sit all day at computers! I could not recommend it highly enough. The one I got is relatively inexpensive as it is a clamp like structure that fixes to the front of a regular desk with its own keyboard and mouse shelf and a handle that enables you to move it up and down between seated and standing positions. I do not have a picture but it is from a company called Just Stand and they have a range of products - this is the one I have http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/560/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

I have been lucky and had a great employer. I understand that not everyone necessarily does, but it may simply be a case of educating them to the benefits that such things will bring. I would guess that both my chair and stand cost less than £1000 or so between them, which seems good value for money to me and far less costly than having someone off work for large periods of time. If you think this would be useful to you, get up and stand up (for your rights)!

No comments:

Post a Comment