Sunday 22 February 2015

The importance of NOT being idle

Continuing to be able to exercise has been vital for me. I am not the type to be able to veg out for hours and do nothing, it simply does not relax me! For several months after this pain started I was told by physios to just rest and heat it. This went on too long for my liking and clearly was not helping so gradually I began doing exercise on the advice of others as well as my gut instinct and lack of patience. It was trial and error as to what I could get away with and I often triggered increased discomfort but this was a small price to pay for keeping fit and staying sane - at least the pain did not have control of me!

I have not been able to continue to playing football, squash or anything with any impact. However, I can get away with walking (which I have always enjoyed) and I have taken up yoga and swimming in almost religious fashion, both things I had never really done before, nor had much inclination to do. My local leisure centre that I used to just use for the gym has yoga classes that are included in my membership (as is the swimming) so it has been a real bonus. The yoga teacher is excellent and I have really enjoyed improving my flexibility and strength and having the routine of going to classes. I have got to the point where I would say I was quite experienced at it now. The biggest benefits have been the relaxation and calm that it has brought to a hectic time as well as the increased overall body awareness it gradually provides. All of this is really beneficial to dealing with chronic pain. The swimming has been great with the focus on breath and increased strength it brings - whilst in the water it is like nothing can disturb you!


Clearly, everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the next. Yoga has helped me but it might be gardening or dancing for someone else. My general point though is that by working your body in a way that you can has significant benefits - it maintains your overall health, it has the possibility of reducing your pain (although for me was never going to actually fix it), it provides a sense of purpose and routine, and it opens up the possibility of trying something new. Perhaps most importantly, it gives you a sense of control over the pain and keeps you sane when other treatments may not be working out in the way you hoped. It is funny the things you end up doing that you did not anticipate - I never thought I would be writing a blog for one!! Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment